Thursday, April 16, 2015

30 Days of Biking - Day 16

I took my first spring ride along the canalway trail today.  I rode from my house to Spencerport to the canal, and then along the canal to Brockport and then back home the same way for a total of 30 miles.  It was a great ride and makes up for taking such a short ride yesterday!

The canal is emptied every winter and hasn't been refilled yet.  I think they begin filling it on May 1st, but I'm not 100% sure of that date.  It was kind of interesting to see things like docks and spillways and such that are usually underwater when the canal is full.


There were some spots where they are doing some maintenance on the canal banks and where they have had to bring in the necessary equipment, the tracks have left some rather bumpy ridges in the path.  Hopefully when they are finished, they also do something to smooth this back out.  I've never experienced this on the canal before so I'm not sure how it gets resolved.




















And now I've completed one of my goals - to ride on the canal path in all 4 seasons!

Since I went to Brockport and back along the same path, it doesn't make a very interesting map!

No comments:

Post a Comment