Monday, July 29, 2013

Second Month Reflection and Lessons Learned - Part 1

So, I've now been on this journey to "becoming" for 2 full months now.  I've lost 13 lbs. and have increased my average speed from 10.5 MPH to between 11.5 and 12.5 MPH (depending upon the route, the hills, and my general fatigue level) and I've logged a total of 322 miles.  Today I hit another first - a ride in a gentle summer rain shower.

While on this journey of mine, I've begun thinking about the cycling lessons I'm learning.  And recently life sent me one hellava curve ball with the sudden, and unexpected death of my father.  This event really took the wind out of my sails, but it also has caused me to take some time to reflect - on what exactly is the legacy my father leaves to me as well as what is the legacy I want to leave my own children and grandchildren.  In the midst of all this reflection, it has occurred to me that many of the cycling lessons I've learned are metaphors for life lessons I've learned as well.  I'm going to share these lessons, a few at a time and in no particular order, here on this blog, since they all have an effect on my journey to "becoming."

Lesson #1 - Don't Let a Little Rain Stop You
Cycling Lesson - Sometimes you get caught in the rain, but when you do, you might as well keep going (assuming there is no thunder and lightening).  If you were to turn around and head home, you'd still be just as wet.  Today, when I got caught in a gentle summer shower, I could have bailed out at any point, but instead I kept going.  Turned out the rain was actually refreshing and if I had quit, I never would have seen this!


Life Lesson - As they say, into every life a little rain must fall.  Sometimes it's a gentle shower, sometimes a heavy rain, and sometimes a downright deluge!  But the important thing is not to give up; to keep moving forward.  There is undoubtably sunshine and blue skies beyond the clouds and you don't want to miss it when it comes!

No comments:

Post a Comment