Friday, August 23, 2013

Lessons Learned #4 - Just Do It!




Getting ready to participate in my first cycling event, PedalPGH!  on Sunday.  I have my jersey, my ride booklet, and my number.  This is the first time in my life that I have ever participated in something where I was given a number to wear!  I'm excited, but also a bit apprehensive.  It was a bit of a leap for me to officially register for a real event.  Will I be able to handle the ride?  The hills in Pittsburgh? Will I look like a fat dork in a cycling jersey, since I haven't lost nearly as much weight as I was hoping for?  What will "real cyclists" think of me, my bike, how I ride?  But my son and my daughter-in-law, and many of their wonderful cycling friends, encouraged me and so, I took the leap.  That familiar Nike slogan kept ringing in my head - Just Do It!  And so I am going to.  Hmmm.  I think I feel Lesson #4 coming on.



Lesson #4 - Just Do It!
Cycling Lesson - Cycling is full of "Just Do It" moments for me!  Whenever I start out on a new route, a longer ride, an unfamiliar hill or obstacle, a familiar hill that is always trouble for me, I wonder if I can handle it or not.  Dressing for a ride causes a bit of apprehension as well.  What will I look like in a sleeveless shirt or more form-fitting exercise shorts?  Registering for this PedalPGH! ride.  Heck, just getting on the bike in the first place!  But I can't let these things get the better of me or I would never ride.  Just get on the bike and go, whatever may come my way.  And 9 time out of 10, I discover I can do more/better than I thought I could!

Life Lesson - Life can be fraught with apprehensions, misgivings and worries.  Acknowledge them, but then summon your inner cheerleader, step outside your comfort zone if necessary, jump in and just do it!  Don't get in your own way and hold yourself back.  You might surprise yourself and your accomplishments will be all the sweeter!

No comments:

Post a Comment